The earliest record is 1231, then 1261 as Ham St George. Thirteenth century remains include a knight effigy, font and crucifixion scene. The tower is fourteenth century as are a piscina and quatrefoil window. Most arches are fifteenth century. In 1762 radical Romanesque style changes were made. Major restorations in 1876 altered most windows, enlarged the vestry and installed a new font, pulpit and the current seating. The organ was installed in 1881. There is a fine peal of eight bells the oldest dated 1748. Services are held every Sunday morning and some evenings.
Our church has strong links with St George’s House Christian outdoor centre, located in the adjacent former rectory, the village school and other local churches to maximise our mission for greater outreach into the community.
A full history of St George’s may be found at http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Georgeham/GeorgehamChurch.html
Revd. Mike Newbon – Vicar
Tel: 01271 890616
For full details on the Church news and events go to: