Most of the parishioners are in the villages and hamlets of Croyde, North Buckland, Darracott, and Puttsborough. Croyde is a pleasant sea bathing place, with a fine bay, and much romantic scenery in its vicinity. The manor of Georgeham was anciently the seat and property of the knightly family of Pickwell, and now belongs to Earl Fortescue. C.H. Webber, Esq., is lord of the manor of Croyde, or Crede; but a great part of the parish belongs to John Dunning, W.V. Richards, (of Incledon House,) the Rev. F. Hole, and a number of smaller owners, mostly free and partly lease holders.
The Church (St. George,) is a fine antique structure, and among its monuments is the tomb of a crusader, supposed to be that of Sir Mauger St. Albyn. In the churchyard are buried Simon Gould and his wife Julian, who died in March, 1817, each in the 101st year of their age, and having been married upwards of 75 years.
From White’s Devonshire Directory (1850) 54Mb
Click below to read full book. Ref pages: 588-589, 565, 569, 570, 583