Is your home protected from fire? You could be eligible for a FREE Home Safety Visit.
Many people across Devon & Somerset are eligible for a FREE Home Safety Visit from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service.
These visits are offered by Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service as part of a public service to ensure we are doing everything possible to help people live safely in their homes.
Who is eligible for a FREE Home Safety Visit?
- Anyone aged over 65.
- Any household with children under the age of 18.
- Anyone with a disability, mobility issues or sensory loss.
- Anyone who smokes and lives alone.
- Anyone with a thatched property.
- Many other vulnerable people – please get in touch to check your eligibility
What happens during a Home Safety Visit?
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service will arrange for one of our friendly Home Safety Technicians to visit you in your home. The visit usually takes around 45 minutes, during this time they will identify and assess any risks in the home, provide advice around safer behaviours and provide equipment to reduce any risks.
- Smoke alarms – do you have one (or more)? Do they work? Can you test them? Our technician will check your alarms for you and if necessary may even supply you with a FREE smoke alarm.
- We will advise you on safe escape routes and what to do in the event of a fire.
- We can offer friendly advice to help influence lifestyle changes.
- We can provide the contact details of other partner agencies who may be able to provide help or assistance.
This is what some other people who have had home safety visits have said:
The technician was very polite, compassionate and very caring. Before the visit I hadn’t slept properly in two months. Last night I slept better and more relaxed due to the way my whole situation was handled. Miss E, Plymouth.
TThe whole experience was excellent. The visit was helpful and most informative. I would recommend to others. Mrs F, South Petherton.
Professional and courteous manner, clear, concise communication and excellent advice given to us. A very worthwhile and reassuring exercise which we would hope everyone would undertake. Thank you Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service. Mr N, Sidmouth.
Perfectly polite and professional! So impressed with the service, I feel so much safer. The technician was lovely, thank you for helping us. Mrs W, Stoke-sub-Hamdon.
Free fire safety equipment
A working smoke alarm is a vital start when it comes to protecting yourself and your home from fire, but there are additional items the Fire Service may be able to offer you. For example, for those who are deaf or hard of hearing, we can provide sensory loss alarms that come with a strobe light and vibrating pad. We can also supply fire retardant bedding, fire retardant throws or blankets, carbon monoxide alarms, alarm testers, run-down timers and winter warm packs.